Jaigarh Fort was a centre of artillery production for the Rajputs. It was the world’s largest cannon on wheels of the Early Modern Era. This cannon was never used in any battle as the Rajput rulers of Amber had friendly relations with the Mughals. The cannon was fired only once with a charge of 100 kilograms (220 lb) of gunpowder and when fired covered a distance of about 35 kilometres (22 mi).
The Jaivana was manufactured during the reign of Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh II (1699–1743) at a foundry in Jaigarh. The barrel is 20.19 foot (6.15 m) in length and weighs 50 tonnes. It has a diameter of 11 inches (280 mm). The barrel has decorations carved on it which depict trees, an elephant scroll and a pair of birds (ducks). It is mounted on wheels and has the mechanism of two back wheels mounted on roller pin bearings, to turn it 360° and fire in any direction. A tin shed was built to protect the cannon against weather. The cannon had a range of 22 miles and used 50 kilograms (110 lb) balls.
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Surprise (thesacredcave.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge : Surprise (abdulmanafphotography.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Surprise (chrisbreebaart.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Surprise! (randomuzings.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Surprise (pilotfishblog.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Surprise (amaltaas.wordpress.com)